Monday, May 14, 2007

Into the Wien

My flight left at 1030 am Cincinnati time. I had a four hour layover in Atlanta, which is the worst city in the worst state ever. Period. I flew out of that hell-hole around 515, 45 minutes late. There was some issue and we had to get moved around the different terminals (11 to 1 to 30).

I sat next to some Germans, but they wouldn't talk to me. So I just kept quiet and started off the trip right with some Scrubs on my personal TV. The smart money would have been to fall asleep watching some crap movie so I wouldn't be too jet-lagged when I got here. But I'm smarter than that, so I stayed awake the entire flight watching Pursuit of Happyness, Stranger than Fiction, Blood Diamond, House, The Office, and some weird British show. I think I'm going to start calling people broo. I got into Munich around 830 AM local time, six hours ahead of Cincy. Which meant I had accidentally pulled an all-nighter.

I got totally lost in the Munich Flughafen, but eventually wandered around asking questions in broken German until I found the train station. I had a 45 minute subway ride to the Haupbahnhof, then hopped a train to Salzburg. I ended up in Vienna about six hours later, where I got a ride from some insane driver my school hired to pick me up. My apartment is pretty nice. I share an apartment with three girls, one of which had taken my room while I wasn't here. She moved her stuff out this morning, because it was too late to move out last night. Note to self: broke parietals on my first night... awww yeaaah! (second note to self, who do you think you are kidding?). She's from Quebec, one is from Turkey, and the other one has yet to speak any more than muttering some cursewords when she saw that the bathroom was taken. I said "Hi" and she said "Sh*t" while closing her door. So I now have a double-sized single, which is nice. One of the beds is a couch now for when all of my awesome new Vienna friends come over [ :-( ].

That first night was rough: no sleep and nobody speaking much English. Plus the food places were closed, so I didn't eat for 24 hours. Speaking of which, I think I'm going on a diet now. Gotta get that beach body ;-P

Class was long (1230-530) but decent. My partner in one class is Czech, and he speaks no English. Fun stuff. I can say anything I want, then say something nice in German and he'll just nod and smile. And there's a 60 year old Quebec-ian in the class too. Neat! Sadly, the only other Americans in my class are a couple of d-bags from up in Michigan. I take that back. It's just that he was breaking the no shorts rule, and I was jealous of how badass he looked.

Tonight I'm going to go explore the main city a bit. I put up some photos on Facebook (or will soon), so you can check those out. I should have more later.

And Jeff Burke is the worst sort of lecher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a wiener

Let me know how the whole threesome (plus) goes for you. Hopefully, you will be able to make something of it ;-). Best of luck!

Oh! And I cannot reiterate how important it is for you to always make sure you are safe. Don't let anyone boost your stuff. <3, James