Thursday, June 14, 2007

Last Freitag

Friday was spent with my last day of class, which I left early to meet up with the gang. We went to the Gasometer (shopping mall) to look the place over, and some other stuff that I really don’t remember. Really pretty run of the mill. We also were able to get to some sweet souvenir shops, where I was able to complete my collection of sweet swag from the trip. Like a stein, most importantly. We went to the Café Central for some coffee and their famous torte, but later found out that we had only gone to the konditorei, or pastry bakery. My dreams of going to the Café Central were shattered. We had to leave to meet up with the rest of the group for dinner, where Wiener schnitzel and other fine Wiener dishes were sampled with some of the house wine. I actually just had a Coke, but that’s just me. Wine is too expensive to be my “thing.” Afterwards we went back to Café Central, and went to the real deal, which was much more impressive. I had been wondering why my German teacher had been recommending it so much, but now I knew. The inside was amazing. Really swanky. The group of us ordered about 12 desert pieces and shared them around with some coffee. I finally got to try out Apfelstrudel, which was really good. I could have used some milk with it, but restaurants don’t really serve milk. It’s weird. I actually did not drink milk once the entire time I was there until Friday, when I got some vanilla/milk drink. Anyways, the peach crème pie was also pretty good.

Post Café, the group split up (I blame automatic subway doors) and most of us went and rented a horse carriage to get a city tour. It was a pricey trip, but a touristy trip through Vienna would not be complete without one. I felt like royalty, bumping around on the cobblestone streets. Except royalty probably wouldn’t have cars honking at them. And royalty would have probably executed the worthless human being who was our “guide.” He actually didn’t speak the entire time. Not once. Nor would he accept requests to slow down so we could get pictures. Really not very nice. After the 40 minute trip, the night was “ended”(see the next post) at the Hotel Sacher’s restaurant, where we all got Sachertorte, a famous royal torte that has been around for hundreds of years. They also had a public restroom, which was nice. It was a fantastic, desert filled evening. After taking the girls home, I ended up hanging out at their place until after the u-bahn stopped running, thus beginning my next great adventure I didn’t tell my parents until I was home safely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. Making some boom with your daddy in the baby maker room. Sorry, I think that's from a mix of the movie Beer Fest and the volkwagen commercials.

Anonymous said...

note: boom should be written as boom boom