Friday, October 26, 2007

Oxi day...

Not too much has really happened since the last post. I went out shopping and got some sweet cheap tailored pants and a tailored shirt in the sketchy shopping part of town, then that night it rained for the first time since we have been here. It poured for a few hours, flooding every street and some apartment buildings. The entrance of my building had about 3 inches of water on the inside, and the street outside had about 8 inches of really fast moving water. I wanted to make a little boat and float it down the torrent, but I didn't. C'est la vie.

Later that night we ended up having a snow day. Hot chocolate was made, pajamas were worn, and a scary movie was watched. That night was some clubbing for a birthday girl, so we got to get all fancy in our new tailored clothes.

Two nights ago was another good one, when I got bitten by a dog. It was pretty sweet. It's a dog that lives on my street that I've been petting for two whole months. And it decided to take a chomp out of old Jimmy for petting him at the wrong time. It was definietly bleeding, but since there is no rabies in Greece I just washed and sanitized it as best I could then wrapped it up. I might have to get a tetanus booster, who knows. It really wasn't the hand pain that was the worst. It was the violation of trust. Yassas (the dog) and I were pretty tight, and unfortunately our relationship ended with a streak of expletives directed at the dog. My roommates and I now only give her cold stares, not petttings.

The next day was a better one, however, because my mom came into town. Which is always better than a dog bite. I rode the metro to meet her at the aiport, then dragged her jet-lagged, sleep deprived self to the National Archaeological Museum for a few hours. It was great to see some family over here. Plus she brought me stuff. We grabbed a bite to eat and had a pretty low key night. Today we ended up going to see the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Acropolis, and the Ancient Agora. Which is a few miles of solid walking, usually uphill. She hates me now, but when she's looking back at it she'll realize that she doesn't hate me for it, just loves me significantly less. Plus she got to see some cool stuff. Tonight is the start of the real adventure, as we board a ferry bound for Crete. We'll see Knossos and maybe some other cool stuff there before going on to Santorini, Delos, Hydra, and whatever other islands we so choose to visit. It should be a blast. Pictures to come after the trip, probably around Friday.

Oh, and I'll include a shot of the dog bite, for posterity's sake.

No comments: